DIY Woodland Nursery Art
I’m back! I know it’s been a month and a half since I posted anything, so I’m sorry for that. The last several weeks have been kind of crazy, so blog posts were not a priority.
Just to quickly recap what’s been happening, I’ve been dealing with a growing belly (which I LOVE, but which also slows me down and tires me out), we bought a house (SO excited about this! I’ll do a full post on it when we get possession July 3), I’m still working so that drains my energy as well and we’ve also had lots of smaller things to do like a baby registry, family gatherings and we’ve now started prenatal classes as well. It’s all been wonderful, exciting stuff and it doesn’t look like it’s going to slow down any time soon since we’ll now be focusing on packing and moving in 2 months and preparing for the arrival of a newborn in about 11 weeks!
Anyway, all of that aside, I spent about 20 minutes today being crafty and thought that I would share what I came up with. It probably doesn’t make a ton of sense to be making more things to just pack up and move, but I had all of the items on hand already so I guess it doesn’t make that much of a difference.
After my 20 minutes of effort, I had this:
I was browsing Etsy the other day for cute nursery decor, and I stumbled across this:
I thought it was really cute, and perfect for a little boy’s woodland nursery. I decided that I could probably make something similar, so I grabbed an empty shadow box frame that I had and some leftover wood shims from when I made my sunburst mirror.
My original plan was to completely cover the backing in wood shims, but when I took the backing off, I realized that wouldn’t work because the shims would be too thick to reattach the backing. You can kind of see in this picture that there’s only enough room for the thickness of the backing.
So, I decided to just put a panel of sorts of wood shims on the backing. I was lazy and just eyeballed the sizing. I just used sharp scissors to cut the shims to size, which was fairly easy because wood shims are pretty thin most of the way down.
I did a white wash on the shims, just using watered down white acrylic paint. In hindsight I wish I would have done another coat to make the wood more white, but it’s fine as is. I found a silhouette that I liked, and cut it out of dark grey card stock. I used the same card stock to cover the backing of the shadow box. I used hot glue to attach the shims and then glued the silhouette to the shims. Super easy, and I think it’s really cute!
There won’t be much wall space to play around with hanging decor in what will be the baby’s nursery, because the top floor of the new house is a 3/4 storey, so there are slanted ceilings on either side of both bedrooms that are upstairs. It presents some challenges for decorating, but it’s quite charming and they’ll work just fine as children’s rooms (well, a nursery and guest room to start).
So, there’s my easy little art project that I whipped together. I’ll try my best to not wait another month and a half to post something. We got our wedding photos, so I want to do a post with a bunch of those but there are a lot so I’ll need to narrow them down. I probably won’t be doing much stuff around the house in the next couple of months because I’ll be trying to purge and pack before we move, but hopefully once we get into the new house and we get settled into a new routine with the baby, I’ll have all kinds of decorating stuff to share!