Anthropologie Pillow Knock-off
Well, I hope everyone enjoyed their long weekend! I worked about half of the weekend, but I was off for the holiday Monday so Ryan and I relaxed most of the day and then went for dinner with my sister and soon to be brother-in-law at a nice place at a local beach. The weather wasn’t anything fantastic, but it was a really nice way to spend a day :)
I was craving some change for our throw pillows on the couch, so today I wanted to share how I made an Anthropologie inspired pillow. It was actually pretty easy, and I think it turned out fairly well.
I was doing some browsing on the Anthropologie site a few weeks ago, and one of the many things I saw that I loved was this pillow:
I loved the look of it, but $58 for a pillow cover is definitely NOT in my budget. I decided that I could make a DIY version for far less, so here’s how I did it.
The pillow form size that I was making this for is a 16×16, so to make the back for an envelope style closure I cut two pieces of material that were each 17″x12″. I used a flat sheet that I got at a thrift store for $3, so I used the already hemmed edges for the back so that I wouldn’t have to do that myself. I overlapped the two pieces so that they measured 17×17 and pinned them together. I laid them out with the right side facing up.
I then put a piece of material that I had cut to 27×27 on top of my back piece. Since I was using a plain sheet, it didn’t really matter which side was which. If you use material with a pattern, make sure you place the right side down. I pinned all of the corners together and then began making small pleats along each side. This is why I cut the full piece 10 inches bigger on either side, so that I had material to play with to make pleats. I had also pinned everything into the carpet at the corners so that it wouldn’t move around. It just made it easier for me.
This is what it looked like once I had pleated each side.
I then sewed up the edges, making sure to keep the pleats in place as I went along. I then snipped off the excess material at the corners and turned it right side out and made sure to fully poke the corners out. Then I gathered the extra material in the center and twisted it, arranging the pleats as I went to make sure they looked the way I wanted them to. Again, I had pinned everything down to the carpet so that it wouldn’t move. I also stuck a pin into the rosette in the middle to hold it while I sewed it down.
As I sewed the rosette together to keep it from unravelling, I gathered the pleats at the rosette and secured them as well. You can see in the picture how the pleats will look loose and puffy before you do this.
I did my best to keep the stitches under the rosette so that they wouldn’t show.
After tucking and stitching everything until I was happy, I put the pillow form into the cover and stood back to admire my work!
My pillow isn’t as pleated as the Anthro one (I think if I had made the full piece even bigger than 27×27 I could have gotten more pleats per side which would have made it look even more similar to the Anthro pillow), and the pleats are looser in some spots, but I think I like it. It has the overall look that I was going for, and it was MUCH cheaper! I’ve only made this one pillow cover so far, but I’ll easily get a second pillow out of the sheet and will have material left over as well. I already had the thread and pillow form, so for $3 for a thrift store sheet I’m happy with the new look on our couch!
I also just made the grey and white pillow covers last week from a tablecloth that I picked up at the thrift store for I think $2. Whenever I buy any kind of fabric item from a thrift store for something like this I just make sure it’s in good condition and then wash it when I get it home. You really can’t beat $5 for 4 new pillow covers!