The Mr. and I were headed to our friends’ place last night for dinner and my mother taught me that it’s always nice to bring something with you when you go to someone’s house, and I believe that’s especially true when you’re going for a meal. Since I’m a much better baker than a cook, I decided to try my hand at coconut macaroons.
I think it’s usually best to stick to tried and true recipes when you’re bringing something to someone else’s house, but these seemed pretty simple so I figured it was worth a shot. They definitely did not disappoint! If you love coconut, you’ll love these cookies.
Recipe from TheKitchn
- 3 cups sweetened, shredded coconut
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Place oven rack in the bottom third of the oven (I put mine on the second row up from the bottom) and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- For even more coconut flavour, toast your coconut first. (I did this and I highly recommend it!) Spread the coconut out on a baking sheet and put it in the oven for no more than 5 minutes. Watch it closely because it will toast quickly and could burn. Allow the coconut to cool for a few minutes before adding to the egg white mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites, sugar, vanilla and salt until the whites and sugar are completely combined and the mixture is frothy.
- Add your cooled coconut to the egg white mixture and mix until coconut is completely moistened.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. With wet hands to prevent sticking, shape the coconut mixture into small balls (roughly 1 1/2 inches in diameter) and place about an inch apart on the baking sheet. *Using your hands to shape the cookies is the best way to go. I just spooned the mixture onto the sheet for my first batch which resulted in flatter cookies. By shaping them into balls with your hands you’ll get a much nicer shaped cookie in the end.
- Bake the macaroons until golden, about 15-20 mins.
- Let the macaroons cool for about 5 mins. then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, drizzle with melted chocolate.
You could even jazz these guys up a bit by adding chocolate chips, nuts or whatever else you think might float your boat. They really were super easy to make and they taste delicious!
Come back tomorrow to see what I made with the left over egg yolks that I had! :)
Linking to: Serenity Now