DIY headboard is complete!

I have completed the headboard!! I’m quite happy with how it turned out, although I may still add the button tufting, I haven’t totally decided on that. Anyway, the tutorial that I got the idea from was found here. I didn’t quite follow the instructions exactly, and I figured out a few things along the way, so I’ll share my instructions.

Materials I used:

  • two 24″x30″ canvases
  • four 2″ mending plates (I got mine at Home Depot in the aisle with the door hinges)
  • eight 6×3/4 screws (that’s what was recommended on the mending plate package)
  • staple gun
  • 2m of fabric
  • 2 yards of upholstery batting

Some insights I made along the way:

  1. I don’t know if a 30″x30″ canvas actually exists. I got my canvases at Michael’s, so I would assume that they would carry every size available. Maybe if I had looked around more I could have found the larger canvases at another store, but as it happened I just went ahead and got 24″x30″. This will give me less overall height, but I was ok with that since I have a long framed piece of art going above the headboard so that will help fill out the space on the wall. Also a note on the canvases: they are expensive!! I was lucky enough to go to Michael’s while they had their canvases on sale for 50% off. If they hadn’t have been half off, this would have been a much more expensive project and I may have used something besides canvases.
  2. I should have gotten mending plates longer than 2 inches. I bought them before I bought the canvases, so I didn’t know until I started putting it together that the screw holes ended up landing on a crack between the canvas and the wood. They still screwed into wood and it worked out fine, but in retrospect I would have bought the canvases first and figured out how long the mending plates needed to be.
  3. I love the way that the faux leather material looks, however it was quite a pain in the behind to work with. It’s thicker than regular old material, so folding it at the corners got tricky. Consider how much patience you have when choosing material!
  4. The tutorial I found said to use 2″ thick cotton batting. This is also something that I’m not sure even exists. I bought my batting where I bought my material, and I asked about 2″ thick cotton batting and was told they don’t carry that and the employee looked at me like I was crazy for thinking there even is such a thing. She suggested upholstery batting since it has a lot more thickness than cotton batting, so that’s what I went with.

So, without further delay, here are my instructions on how to DIY yourself a (rather awesome, in my opinion!) headboard:

First I gathered my materials.

Next, I attached the 2 canvases together on the back using the 4 mending plates and the screws.

This is what it looked like from the front once they were attached:

I then stapled 2 layers of batting to the wooden frame of the canvases. I chose to staple the batting down first so that it wouldn’t move around under the fabric while I was trying to get it stretched and in place properly.

I then stapled the material to the wooden frame. This part was a bit tricky. I kept flipping it over and checking how it was looking from the front. I removed quite a few staples in the process to get the material stretched properly and in the right place without any ripples or weird looking areas. The corners were a PITA, but I think that was because the material that I used is a lot thicker than a regular fabric.

Here is what the headboard looked like complete:

And here is what it looks like on the wall:

All in all, I’m very happy with how it turned out. I know that it will look much better in our new place, since it will be on a dark purple wall which will really make it stand out, and it will be hung properly. I just quickly hung it on my current bedroom wall to take pictures and get an idea of what it will look like. It’s hung too high, and my bed is smaller than the bed we’ll be using, so it doesn’t look the greatest in these pictures….however, I am sure that it will look amazing in our new place once everything is put together!!

And here is a rough cost breakdown for this project:

  • $30 for 2m of faux leather material
  • $12 for 2y of upholstery batting
  • $3 for mending plates and screws
  • $40 for 2 canvases (at 50% off)
Total = $85! Much less expensive than if I had bought a headboard, and I got the satisfaction of making it :)

On a side note, the updates to the new place are coming along! We ripped up all of the carpet (every room in the house!) over the weekend, and today we picked out the new flooring. Next we’re going to have all of the junk removed (the old tenants left a nasty old couch, some clothes and a bunch of other random garbage…how thoughtful of them!) and then clean, paint everything and have the new flooring installed. I made sure to take before pictures, and plan on taking during pictures and of course afters. That will all be posted once everything is done, so until then I’ll continue with my DIY project posts!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: