Room divider repurposing

I finally had a chance to get to this post! It’s been a couple of weeks in the making, so I’m glad that it’s finally completed.

A couple of weeks ago I posted a picture, hinting at the project that I was working on…

1-IMG_1

Did anyone have any guesses about what I was doing? If you guessed making a headboard, you’d be correct :)

1-IMG_7

My sister is a manager at a long term care home (somewhat similar to a retirement home) and her company just took over the building, so they were cleaning some things out a few weeks ago and she snagged me this room divider screen. She thought I had said I wanted one for something, which I hadn’t, but as soon as I saw it I knew what I could do with it.

I forgot to get a true before picture when the panels were still attached together, but I think we’ve all seen these mid 90s room dividers before. It was in pretty great shape, but I just didn’t have anywhere to use it in it’s original state, so I took that sucker apart and gave it a makeover.

I gave each panel a bit of a sanding before priming and painting since it was a laminate type finish so I didn’t want the paint to peel right off afterwards. I did 2 coats of primer on each one and then 2 coats of paint. I used the same paint that I painted this dresser with, and that lives in the guest room where this headboard was going to go so it’s all nice and cohesive :)

That priming and painting job was kind of a big pain because I had to tape off every little square on each panel so that I didn’t get paint on the fabric stuff in the squares although some squares did get paint on them but no one needs to know that. I also had to prime and paint each panel one at a time since I was working on top of garbage bags in the basement haha this would have been SO much easier if I could have taken them outside to spray paint #gottalovecanadianwinters

So after about a week, all 3 panels were primed and painted. I gave each one a very light distressing on all of the edges as well, and then I Mod Podged fabric into each solid part of the panels.

1-IMG_2

You want to really put a good coat on there so that you don’t get bubbles in your fabric.

1-IMG_3Then I just laid the fabric on top and starting in the middle of the panel I smoothed the fabric out towards the edges. I made sure to leave a little bit of overhang so that I could go back and cut the excess off with an exacto knife to get nice clean edges. I just used my fingers to smooth the fabric into the edge of the panel to make it easier to cut.

1-IMG_4After all 3 panels were done, I used mending braces on the back to attach them all together.

1-IMG_5Once it was all one piece, I slipped it in behind the bed. It’s not attached to the wall yet since I wasn’t sure if I wanted to move things around in this room, but when I do attach it I’ll probably just screw it right into the wall using drywall plugs to make sure it’s secure. It’s really not that heavy, so I don’t think it needs to be screwed into studs.

Here it is in the room!

1-IMG_6I decided to change the accent colour in here to yellow instead of pink and purple. There are men who stay in this room when they come to visit, so I thought that yellow was more of a happy medium between masculine and feminine. I really like the yellow/grey combo too. I hung the Paris prints, that used to be above the bed, on that side wall to try and balance out the height of the headboard. I have an idea for “sconces” on either side of the headboard as well, so I think that will also help to balance out some of the empty space. I also have plans for a DIY light fixture that will help with the overall look of the room. I’m also going to shop the house and try to find some yellow accessories to put on top of the dresser. The purple vase and flowers are sticking out like a sore thumb to me now lol

Here’s a closer shot, you can see the fun pattern on the fabric and the distressing a bit better:

1-IMG_8JPG

I have another post in the works for another addition I made to the room. Bonus points for anyone who can figure out what it is! Just to make it easier, here is the last shot I shared of how the guest room was looking:

And here is what the guest room currently looks like:

1-IMG_6Only a few more tweaks until I’ll be “done” with this room! It’s going to be nicer than our room when I’m finished! haha

Linking to: Serenity Now, The Ironstone Nest, Crafty Texas Girls, Our Fifth House

Comments
8 Responses to “Room divider repurposing”
  1. Sarah says:

    It looks great! Nicely done. :)

  2. sevanderkooy says:

    This looks great and I love your color choice, I am in love with yellow and gray right now.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] can read about my headboard project here and my pillow cover [...]



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 270 other followers

%d bloggers like this: